Monday, June 27, 2011

The Low GI Diet

I have begun reading lots of material on Low GI diets. I know the word 'diet' is scary but this is not a diet...its about eating better and making better choices. It's not a diet because I am not restricting anything. I'm choosing one type of bread over another and etc. I am reading the the book 'The Low GI Revolution.' Its very interesting because it breaks down exactly what GI is which is the Glycemic Index. The GI value of a food is the amount your blood glucose level rises because of the amount/type of carbohydrates and sugar the food contains. It tells you what effects the GI in foods, what are the best choices, and gives a list of foods and their GI value. I'm only partially through the book but I already have a wealth of information. So if anyone is interested in learning more, let me know. I am already starting to make little changes in my eating habits and hopefully will go into full swing shortly.

The benefits of a low GI diet are that you severely lessen your chances of getting diabetes and the heap of other health problems eating too much sugar brings. It helps to curb your cravings and keep you fuller longer. I am hoping this will help me with my sugar addiction because it is an addiction like anything else and I need to do all I can to break the cycle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment